The Yucaipa Adobe
California Historical Landmark #528
32183 Kentucky Street, Yucaipa, CA 92399
We suggest contacting the main museum at 909.307.2669 to make sure this site
is open on the day you would like to visit, as we may experience temporary closures
due to high wind or other factors during the year.
Hours and Admission Fees:
Tuesday through Saturday: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Closed New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
Group tours by appointment.
For additional assistance, please call (909) 307-2669 x 240.
Admission fees are: $5 adult, $4 senior/military, $2.50 student/child, under 5 free.
Before European contact, the site of the Yucaipa Adobe was occupied by the Serrano
Indians. The marsh land, fed by springs, supported abundant vegetation and wildlife.
In 1842, Antonio Maria Lugo received a grant of land in the San Bernardino and Yucaipa
valleys from Mexican Governor Alvarado and established the San Bernardino Rancho.
Diego Sepulveda, a cousin by marriage to the Lugo family, brought a herd of cattle
from other ranchos and settled in the Yucaipa Valley.
Oral history and tradition attributed this adobe home to Diego Sepulveda. But historical
and archaeological studies undertaken during restoration and seismic strengthening
of the adobe in 1989-1990 provided a new interpretation. It is now believed that
Diego Sepulvedas adobe was located a few hundred yards away, near 16th and
Dunlap Boulevard, and that James Waters, noted hunter, trapper, and mountaineer,
built the Yucaipa Adobe in 1858-1859. Mr. Waters stocked his Yucaipa Rancho with
sheep, driving herds as far as Arizona and Montana.
John Dunlap, a Texas cattleman, purchased the Yucaipa ranch in 1869. The Dunlap
family moved into the adobe and used the land for grazing and for raising grain
and alfalfa. The Dunlap family maintained ties to the ranch until the 1950s. By
that time, most of the property had been sold.
In 1954, the Yucaipa Womans Club raised funds to save the deteriorated adobe
dwelling from demolition. Eventually they gave the property to the County of San
Bernardino to be administered as a part of the San Bernardino County Museum system.
The Yucaipa Adobe contains furnishings from the nineteenth century. Horse-drawn
farm implements are exhibited outside the adobe. The exhibit was donated by the
Haley and Melton families, early Yucaipa ranchers. The Lions Club of Yucaipa moved
the farm implements to the site and organized the exhibit, which also includes a
The site is available for outdoor events such as
weddings, receptions and other ceremonies. Spinners and weavers, storytellers
and school groups make regular use of the site. Enjoy your visit!