Skip navigation
Skip Navigation LinksDPH Home > DEHS Home > FAQs > Food Worker Training FAQs

Food Worker Training FAQs

1.  For the best possible viewing experience of the San Bernardino Online Food Worker Training, what system requirements do you recommend?

A DSL internet connection of 1mb or higher, or a dial-up connection of 128K or higher. Not sure where you stack up? Test your connection at

The website and San Bernardino Online Food Handler Course are Flash-based. If the website is not functioning for you (e.g. you are unable to see the map on the homepage) you will need to download the Adobe Flash player. Get it here:

If you are using the Google Chrome browser, an additional Flash download is not required. recommends using Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer browsers. We do not recommend AOL. For the best viewing experience, make sure you are using an updated version of your preferred browser.

Top of page

2.  What is the benefit of having the course only online?

Due to the large geographical area of San Bernardino County, it may have been inconvenient for residents who needed food worker cards to travel to one of our testing facilities. In order to serve our clients more efficiently, an online training and test has now been made available. The training and test is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The online training and test will benefit San Bernardino County residents because of the cost and time that will be saved in not having to drive to a testing facility. Additionally, the training and test can be taken at your own pace and in the comfort of your home.

Top of page

3.  How long does the training and test take to complete?

The training and test take approximately 1.5 to 2 hours to complete.

Top of page

4.  I don't have a computer available to me. How can I take the course?

You can take the course on any computer that has internet access. Many employers provide computers, and local libraries also have computers available. If those resources are not an option, computers are available at the following San Bernardino County Workforce Development Resource Centers:

15555 Main St. Suite #G-4
Hesperia, CA 92345

Rancho Cucamonga
9650 Ninth St.
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

San Bernardino
658 E. Brier Dr. Suite #100
San Bernardino, CA 92408

Top of page

5.  I took the course online from another county, program or company and have a card. Will you accept it?

No, food worker cards from other counties, programs or companies are not accepted. Food service industry employees working in San Bernardino County are required to obtain their food worker card from San Bernardino County Environmental Health Services only.

Top of page

6.  What is the cost for the taking the course and getting my food worker card?

The cost to obtain your food worker card is $22. Only credit, debit and prepaid debit cards are accepted.

Top of page

7.  How many questions will be on the test? What happens if I fail?

There are 40 questions on the test and you may not miss more than 8 questions. You will have 2 opportunities to take the test for each $22 fee.

Top of page

8.  Can I reprint my food worker card?

Yes, you can reprint your food worker card by logging in to the training course with the same username and password that you created when you registered to take the course and print your card.

Top of page

9.  Do I need to give a copy of the food worker certificate to my employer?

Yes, your employer must have a copy of your current valid Certified Food Worker card available at their food facility. The large certificate should be given to the food facility as proof of taking the training and passing the test. The smaller wallet-sized certificate can be kept in the employee's wallet.

Top of page

10.  How many times can I take the online course?

You can take the online course as many times as necessary until you successfully pass the course. When you sign up and pay the $22 fee, you will be eligible to take the test twice. If you fail both times, you will have to pay the $22 fee again and be given 2 more opportunities to pass the course.

Top of page

11.  If I sign up online but did not take the course, can I get a refund?

You may appeal for a refund from if you have not yet entered the online course or assessment. Please see below for refund policy:

  • Refund appeals are evaluated on a case-by-case basis and are issued by an accounting or client services representative.

  • Refunds will not be issued to people who have completed their online assessment and received a certificate.

  • Refunds will not be issued 90 days of the initial transaction

  • Refunds will not be issued via cash or check.

  • Refunds may only be issued to the customer account used for the initial transaction.

Top of page

12.  Will the colleges and other third parties be able to offer your course?

No. You must take the training and assessment through SB County's website where a link is provided for the food worker course.

Top of page

13.  If I lose my food worker card, where can I get a replacement card?

You can log on to the San Bernardino county website food worker link to reprint your food worker card using the username and password you created when you registered to take the course.

Top of page

14.  What type of identification will I need in order to take the course online?

You will obtain the information at the time of taking the online course, but at a minimum the identification required is first and last name, address, date of birth, gender, and name of employer. You will also need a valid email address to take the course.

Top of page

15.  The test is skipping, isn't loading or other technical difficulties are occurring. What should I do?

Please visit for all technical difficulties.

You have the option to email questions to or complete an online webform These options are available to the public from 6 am - 6 pm Pacific Standard Time.

You may also call the toll free customer support-line that is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week at 1-801-494-1416.

Top of page

16.  Do you offer the online course in languages other than English?

The course is also offered in Spanish, Mandarin, Korean and Vietnamese.

Top of page

17.  Can I stop the training or test, save my spot, and continue to take the training or test at a later time?

Yes, you are able to stop the training or test, save your spot and continue at a later time and restart from where you left off. If you are not able to pass with an 80% or higher on your first attempt, you are automatically issued a second test attempt. If you are unable to pass the second time, you will need to repurchase and re-watch the course.

Top of page

18.  Why is food handler training so important?

Food safety has been an important issue in the restaurant industry for decades. Foodborne illnesses are still a major problem in the United States. The CDC estimates that each year 9.4 million Americans get sick, more than 55,900 are hospitalized, and a shocking 1,351 people die from foodborne illnesses just from known pathogens.

Although significant advancements have been made over the last 20 years to educate food service workers about safe food handling practices, there has been no change since 1984 in the top 3 causes of foodborne illness attributed to food service workers, those being: poor personal hygiene, improper holding temperatures, improper cooling procedures.

Since the majority of foodborne illnesses are attributed to food service workers, and the top contributing factors are related to worker behavior, the importance of the training food handlers receive is critical. As more people are expected to eat out more in the future, no time has ever been more important than now to have an effective food safety as a top priority. While many restaurants currently employ various efforts to ensure food safety, the fact of the matter is people are still getting sick on a daily basis and we must continue to be vigilant.

Top of page

19.  If I fail the test, do I have to retake the test that same day?

No, you don't. You have as many days to retake the test as you need. You have the option to retake the test immediately or at a later date.

Top of page

20.  Am I able to save my Food worker certificate to my computer or flash drive?

Yes, you can save your Food worker certificate. We recommend that you do this so you can print your Food worker certificate again if you need too. Please do not make copies of the original certificate because this may reduce the quality of the certificate.

Top of page

21.  Will you accept a voucher I received from HSS and/or the Workforce Development Department?

Environmental Health Services will no longer accept the old vouchers submitted through HSS and the Workforce Development Department. Both departments can obtain prepaid numbers through: You may use these prepaid numbers to access the training, take the test and obtain your food worker card.

Top of page

22.  I have a food worker card before the new online training and test was offered on September 1st, 2011 and lost it. Can I get a duplicate card?

We no longer issue duplicate cards from our old database system. If you need a replacement card, you must retake the test by visiting and click on the Food Worker Training link.

Top of page

23.  If I have the manager's certification, do I still need the food worker's card?

No, the manager's training and certification supersedes the food worker's card.

Top of page

Get Adobe Reader