On Tuesday, I had the honor of speaking to our local Veterans at the High Desert Vets Center’s Veterans Day Luncheon. It was a wonderful opportunity to meet so many of the brave men and women who have proudly served our Country.
Please keep our Veterans in your thoughts on Friday as we honor their valor, service and sacrifices. The following are some of the ceremonies planned here in the First District:
- Apple Valley’s "Veteran’s Day on the Overpass" event will take place at 8 a.m. on Nov. 11 on the Dale Evans Parkway overpass at Interstate 15 in Apple Valley. Participants are invited to bring flags or signs to show their patriotism to passing motorists.
- Hesperia Elks Lodge is hosting a Veterans Dinner at 5 p.m. Friday, Nov. 11. The ceremony begins at 5 p.m., with a meatloaf dinner at 6 p.m. Riverside Preparatory’s JROTC will present during the ceremony. This event is free for all Veterans; guests are $12. The lodge is located at 9202 E Avenue in Hesperia. RSVP to 760-949-2646.
- Hesperia’s Veterans Day Ceremony will begin at 11 a.m. Friday at the Hesperia Lake War Memorial. The public, veterans, and their family members are encouraged to attend this special ceremony commemorating the men and women who gave their lives in times of war, along with all past and present military personnel. Veterans and active military can also fish for free that day.
- The 28th annual High Desert Veterans Dinner is happening on Wednesday, Nov. 9, at the Serrano High School gym in Phelan. All veterans and one guest are invited to this free appreciation dinner. Tickets are required, and available from Pizza Factory, McDonald's or DCB Bank in Phelan; DCB Bank in Wrightwood; or A-Tech Transmission in Hesperia. While tickets are free, attendees must have a ticket to enter.
- Phelan’s Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9415 will be holding its annual Veterans Weekend poppy distribution on Nov. 11-13 at Stater Bros. in Phelan.
- City of Victorville will host its 26th Annual Veterans Day Ceremony from 8:45 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. in Old Town Victorville. Registration for the Freedom Mile Run, held in conjunction with the Veterans Day Celebration, will begin at 8:15 a.m. at the corner of 7th Street and Forrest Avenue. The run begins at 8:45 a.m. The parade is scheduled for 9 a.m. at the corner of 7th Street and Tracy. It will proceed to the corner of 7th Street and Forrest Avenue, where the ceremony will take place following the conclusion of the parade.
- Victor Valley College will hold its 7th Annual Veterans Day Event from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 10, at the Veterans Resource Center (Building 80.01C) on lower campus, Fish Hatchery Road. All Veterans are invited to take part in the celebration, which will include snacks and a chance to win prizes including TVs, laptops, headphones and more!
- The Wrightwood Veterans Memorial will host its annual Veterans Day Ceremony at 11 a.m. Friday, Nov. 11. The event will take place at the Memorial Park located at 1274 Evergreen in Wrightwood. The park is dedicated to the men and women who served, and to those who are currently serving our country in the military. For more information, please email email@example.com
Veterans Day Perks
- Disabled American Veterans Bill Kinnard Chapter #92 is hosting their Military Appreciation Night and free "Thank You Meal" at Golden Corral in Hesperia from 5 p.m. to close on Nov. 14.
- Mountain High Ski Resort in Wrightwood will be offering free lift tickets to active military and Veterans this Friday, Nov. 11, in honor of Veterans Day.
- Several local businesses will be offering free meals and discount specials to Veterans and active military on Friday. Participating restaurants include Applebees, BJ's and Brewhouse, Charley's Philly Steaks, Chili's, Cracker Barrel, Freddy's Frozen Custard, Menchie's, Red Lobster, Starbucks and Texas Roadhouse.
- Starting this Friday, Nov. 11, a new lifetime National Parks pass will be available for U.S. Military Veterans and Gold Star Families!