San Bernardino County 

Assessor-Recorder-County Clerk

Skip Navigation LinksHome > Recorder


ResponsibilitiesNew LawsVital RecordsDoc RecordingElectronic RecordingTravel

Document Recording

The County Recorder, upon payment of proper fees and taxes, will accept any document which is authorized or required by California law to be recorded, if the document contains required information and if it is photographically reproducible.

   1. Each document presented for recording must include or comply with California state law general recording requirements.

   2. State law requires the transferee (buyer) of real property to file a completed Preliminary Change of Ownership Report concurrently with the recordation of any document effecting a change in ownership. If the form is not filed, the recorder will charge an additional fee of $20. For questions on proper completion of the form, please contact the Assessor’s Change of Ownership Department at (909) 387-8307 or toll free at (877) 885-7654.

   3. All applicable fees must be paid at the time of recording, click here for the 2016 Fee Schedule
Payment may be made by cash, personal check, cashier's check or money order. Please make checks payable to: San Bernardino County Recorder.

The Recorder's Office is prohibited from giving any legal advice and cannot assist the public in the preparation of legal documents. If you have any questions concerning which document form is appropriate to your transaction, or are in need of assistance in the preparation of that document, consult an attorney or obtain other professional advice. If you have any questions regarding the recording process, you may call (855) REC-CLRK or (855) 732-2575 and speak to an agent that will assist you.

Documents may be presented for recording by mail or in person Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. excluding holidays at:

County Recorder
Hall of Records, 1st Floor
222 W. Hospitality Lane
San Bernardino, CA 92415-0022

County Recorder
Jerry Lewis High Desert Government Center
15900 Smoke Tree Street, Ste. 101
Hesperia, CA 92345

Click any of the links below for more information:
General Recording Requirements
How to Transfer Title
How to Remove a Deceased Joint Tenant
How to File a Declaration of Homestead
Real Estate Fraud

If the service you require is not listed above, click here to see an expanded list of services offered by the Recorder-Clerk's office.

Related Links

Click here for general information and assistance with recording documents.