San Bernardino County 

Assessor-Recorder-County Clerk

Skip Navigation LinksHome > County Clerk > Marriage Ceremony

Marriage Ceremony Information

1. Ceremony must be performed within 90 calendar days of purchase of the marriage license
2. Couple is to present the original marriage license to the person who will be solemnizing the marriage (see information below on the requirements for Authorized Persons to Perform Marriage Ceremonies).
  a.   A public marriage requires a minimum of four people
    i.   Two unmarried persons
    ii.   Person solemnizing the marriage
    iii.   One witness (second witness is optional)
  b.   A confidential marriage requires a minimum of three people
    i.   Two unmarried persons
    ii.   Person solemnizing the marriage
3. After the ceremony, the person solemnizing the marriage is to complete the officiant’s portions of the marriage license in black ink and obtain complete address and signature(s) of witness(es) (if applicable).
  a.   Enter the date, city, and county of the marriage
  b.   Printed name of officiant, signature, title, and religious denomination, if clergy member.
  c.   Complete address(es), printed name(s) and signature(s) of witness(es)
4. Solemnizer is to return the completed original marriage license to the County Recorder/Clerk in the county in which the license was issued within ten days of the marriage ceremony.
Civil marriage ceremonies are performed in our office by Deputy Commissioners of Civil Marriage. You may make an appointment at the San Bernardino Office by calling (855) 732-2575. The fee is $65.00. Walk-ins are also welcome Tuesday - Thursday from 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Authorized Persons to Perform Marriage Ceremonies

Family Code Section
  400. Marriage may be solemnized by any of the following who is of the age of 18 years or older:
    (a) A priest, minister, rabbi, or authorized person of any religious denomination.
    (b) A judge or retired judge, commissioner of civil marriages or retired commissioner of civil marriages, commissioner or retired commissioner, or assistant commissioner of a court of record in this state.
    (c) A judge or magistrate who has resigned from office.
    (d) Any of the following judges or magistrates of the United States:
      (1) A justice or retired justice of the United States Supreme Court.
      (2) A judge or retired judge of a court of appeals, a district court, or a court created by an act of Congress the judges of which are entitled to hold office during good behavior.
      (3) A judge or retired judge of a bankruptcy court or a tax court.
      (4) A United States magistrate or retired magistrate.
    (e) A legislator or constitutional officer of this state or a Member of Congress who represents a district within this state, while that person holds office.
  400.1 In addition to the persons specified in Section 400, marriage may also be solemnized by a county supervisor, the city clerk of a charter city or serving in accordance with subdivision (b) of Section 36501 of the Government Code, or a mayor of a city elected in accordance with Article 3 (commencing with Section 34900) of Chapter 4 of Part 1 of Division 2 of Title 4 of the Government Code, while that person holds office. The county supervisor, the city clerk, or mayor shall obtain and review from the county clerk all available instructions for marriage solemnization before the county supervisor, the city clerk, or mayor first solemnizes a marriage.
  401. (a) For each county, the county clerk is designated as a commissioner of civil marriages.
    (b) The commissioner of civil marriages may appoint deputy commissioners of civil marriages who may solemnize marriages under the direction of the commissioner of civil marriages and shall perform other duties directed by the commissioner.
  402. In addition to the persons permitted to solemnize marriages under Section 400, a county may license officials of a nonprofit religious institution, whose articles of incorporation are registered with the Secretary of State, to solemnize the marriages of persons who are affiliated with or are members of the religious institution. The licensee shall possess the degree of doctor of philosophy and must perform religious services or rites for the institution on a regular basis. The marriages shall be performed without fee to the parties.

Commissioner For One Day Program

The San Bernardino County Clerk offers an opportunity to have a special friend or family member appointed to perform your marriage ceremony. This is a one time, one-event appointment.

One of the parties to the marriage or the person performing the marriage ceremony must reside in San Bernardino County. The marriage license must be purchased by the couple prior to the ceremony taking place.

  • Regular Public License ($89.00)
    • Copies issued only to authorized persons
    • May be used anywhere in the State of California
    • One witness required. (Besides person performing ceremony)

  • Confidential License ($90.00)
    • Copies issued to couple only
    • May be used anywhere in the State of California
    • No witnesses required
    • Applicants must be living together as spouses
The person wishing to be appointed as a commissioner of civil marriages must:
  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Appear in person at the County Clerk's Office (by appointment)
  • Present current government issued identification
  • Complete a "Appointment as Deputy Commissioner of Civil Marriages" application
  • Pay a fee of $75.00 (non-refundable)
  • Require the couple to present their marriage license prior to solemnizing of the marriage.

The process is done by appointment only. Please submit the “Deputy Commissioner of Marriages” application at least six weeks in advance of the date of the ceremony. After approval is given, you will be given instructions for completion of the license, sample wedding vows and a copy of your appointment. For further information, please call (855) 732-2575.

Penal Code Section 70.5.

Every commissioner of civil marriages or every deputy commissioner of civil marriages who accepts any money or other thing of value for performing any marriage pursuant to Section 401 of the Family Code, including any money or thing of value voluntarily tendered by the persons about to be married or who have been married by the commissioner of civil marriages or deputy commissioner of civil marriages, other than a fee expressly imposed by law for performance of a marriage, whether the acceptance occurs before or after performance of the marriage and whether or not performance of the marriage is conditioned on the giving of such money or the thing of value by the persons being married, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

It is not a necessary element of the offense described by this section that the acceptance of the money or other thing of value be committed with intent to commit extortion or with other criminal intent.

This section does not apply to the request or acceptance by any retired commissioner of civil marriages of a fee for the performance of a marriage.

This section is inapplicable to the acceptance of a fee for the performance of a marriage on Saturday, Sunday, or a legal holiday.