Camp Cajon Monument marks the spot of 1900s 'Gateway to Southern California'
May 19, 2021
Have you been to Camp Cajon Monument? Located in the Cajon Pass near the intersection of Interstate 15 and Highway 138, the monument marks the spot of Camp Cajon, a popular Route 66 campground and rest area that operated between 1919 and 1938.
Camp Cajon was founded by local journalist and entrepreneur William M. Bristol (pictured above), an entrepreneur who also built the quirky Acorn Lodge in Wrightwood. The camp boasted several stone structures, including a cafe, rental cabins, a store and several picnic areas.
Once dubbed “The Gateway to Southern California,” the camp fell into disrepair due to extensive flood damage and was cleared for the widening of Route 66. The monument was built and dedicated in 2019 in coordination with the San Bernardino Historical and Pioneer Society.
The Mohahve Historical Society leads occasional walking tours of the site and nearby Crowder Canyon. To stay updated on future tours, follow the Camp Cajon Facebook page.